Friday, September 26, 2008

Interbike

I never go to Interbike. Why? Las Vegas creeps me out. There seems to be a barely audible hum there, something akin to what Stephen King described in The Langoliers. Of course the audible part of that has to be the incessant traffic, but beyond that there seems to be something else. Maybe it's an air of desperation, emanating from the pores of those with broken dreams that have fallen under gambling's siren spell and false promise of easy money. Whatever it is, I don't like it and haven't ever attended Interbike because of it.

Of course friends frequent Interbike. Some do mind the debauchery and others embrace it fully. Of those friends who are attending this year's convention are some of the Anaheim, CA fixed gear street riding straightedge sort. I'm not straightedge by any means, but am neither a drunken buffoon, nor a drug-addled idiot. Moderation is something that has taken a few years to acquire, but is well worth the efforts to get there. For this, those straightedge friends respect that, just as I respect their choice to not pollute themselves in the slightest.

Last night word was passed down about the MASH street race on The Strip in Las Vegas. It would appear that one of the Anaheim, CA bunch walked away with the $1000 cash prize for winning that particular race. Well done Tone and way to put it down in the land of the crappy vibes.

1 Comments:

Blogger John Linko said...

Hey Jer:

I went to Vegas for the first time a year ago. My girlfriend's daughter got to go to the PBR World Finals through Make-A Wish, and I met them there. I sense the same thing about it that you did, and the experience validated a lot of preconceived notions I had about the place. I've no desire to return.

Good to hear from you.

John

13 October, 2008 22:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home